2.20.2010

VHS & Carrot Cake Recipe


Do you ever have those weekends when you do so much and then at the end of them sit & wonder what it was exactly you did? I am having one of those weekends. John & I did so much today, but here it is 8:30 at night & I am scratching my brain at how fast it went! The best thing we did today was buy a VCR at the D.I for only $12. It was actually the same model my parents had when I was growing up! It is in pretty perfect condition. I've been wanting one for a while b/c all my favorite chick flicks or on VHS. When put in a movie we both forgot how loud they are when you rewind or fast forward. Do you remember all those lines that show up on the T.V. too! It's really amazing how far technology has come. We are so blessed with it. Another highlight to our day was the homemade SALSA! It was the first time we had ever attempted this food & I must say it turned out pretty good. John bought some kind of pepper, I had never heard of it before, but when he cut it open it was so potent it started making us cough and stung our nostrils really bad. Luckily we did NOT add any to the mixture. It was fun being in the kitchen today. Now it's time to get the lesson ready for tomorrow & then put in a VHS chick flick! Hope every one had a good weekend. Here is my new favorite dessert....CARROT CAKE! As you know I made this for valentines day & it turned out sooo good. I got the recipe off of marthastewart.com. Enjoy!
Moist Yummy Carrot Cake
Preheat oven 350
Butter two round pans, line with wax paper & butter, dust with flour
Wisk:
1 1/4 C Flour (I think whole wheat would taste really good)
1/2 tsp. Baking powder
1/2 tsp. Baking soda
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Ginger
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
Set it aside
Beat till fluffy:
6 Oz. Butter
1/2 C. Brown sugar
1/4 C. Sugar
Add:
2 eggs & beat for a few more minutes
Add:
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/4 C. Water
1 1/2 C. Grated Carrots (I use the tiny grate side)
(I also add about 1/4 c. of applesauce, It makes it just a bit more moist)
Add the flour mixture & bake for 30 minutes, rotating half way through. Cool in pan for 15 mintues b/f taking off the wax paper.
I add cream cheese frosting to this YUMMY cake!
8 oz cream cheese, 1 tsp. vanilla, 8 TBSP butter, 2 c powdered sugar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A ton of my favorite movies are on VHS too! What a good idea to go and get one at DI :) Jake made me cheesecake for valentines day..so maybe I should make him your carrot cake